Friday, September 26, 2008

End of old TV Season, Summer 2008

Man, talk about a blood bath. 32 anime series are ending as of this week. Granted, this is only 50% of what's on right now (32 shows are still airing). But, with the new season starting, a lot of shows only lasted 13 episodes (a few made it to 26 eps) meaning that they never really had a chance to gather a following beyond those fans of the manga.

Shows ending include:

Code Geass
Birdy Decode
Special A
Yakushiiji Ryoko's Case Files
Neo Angelica Abyss Second Age
World Destruction
Monochrome Factor
D.Grey-Man
Himitsu - The Revelation
Sekirei
Itazurna Kiss
Macross F
To Love-ru
Strike Witches
Mission-E
20 Menso no Musume
Slayers Revolution
Wangan Midnight
Seirei no Moribito

Of these, I was just getting interested in Birdy Decode and Seirei no Moribito, and I really wanted to watch Ryoko's Case Files (not able to because I don't have a DVD recorder right now, and the show ran at 1:00 AM). The other shows I didn't really care about. Interestingly, the October Newtype magazine listing didn't include a mention of Meitantei Conan, so I'm not sure what the status of this one is.

For those that care, Naruto and Bleach are still running, as are Yugioh, Zettai Karin Children and Pokemon.

I'll run a list of the new shows when I can confirm them from the TV station websites, but they should all be starting with the first week of October.

2 comments:

odorobu-hilde said...

That's...quite a lot of shows ending all at one time. o.O I know my friend likes Seirei no Moribito so she'll be sad that's it's ending. And another friend of mines has been downloading Special A(that didn't go on for very long) and D.Grey-Man(it should be around 100 episodes so that's not too bad). =/ But wow, 32 series really is quite a lot to be ending.

TSOTE said...

Back when I first lived here, TV anime usually lasted at least 26 episodes, so there weren't as many shows ending at the end of the season like there are now. I don't think there were as many late night shows either (shows airing between 1:00 and 4:00 AM). A lot of the shows ending now are the ones that ran late at night.

I caught the ending of Seirei no Moribito. A little sappy and predictable, but not as bad as some endings I've seen. Not sure if D.Gray-Man ended last week or will end tomorrow. Given the storyline 2 weeks ago, I'm not sure how things could be wrapped up right now without leaving huge parts of the plot unexplained.