Friday, April 3, 2009

101Tokyo


(Amano's main work at 101Tokyo)

The 101Tokyo Contemporary Art Fair is running this week from April 2 to the 5th, although April 1st apparently was open to the press and industry insiders, I guess. It's being held in conjunction with a larger event spread across all of Tokyo named Art Fair Tokyo 2009. There was a similar Tokyo Art Fair last Summer that I pretty much ignored.



I'm not a big fan of modern art, and what little of the works that I saw at one or two small galleries at the Summer event didn't impress me much. I looked over the 2009 Tokyo Art Map from Tokyo Art Beat that was included in the info packet for the 101Tokyo event, and there's really nothing this time that attracts my attention.



On the other hand, the 101Tokyo Contemporary Art Fair, in Akiba Square in the UDX building in Akihabara, itself was interesting. I went on the 1st, since I'd arrived in Akihabara a little early prior to going to work next door. The 101Tokyo event consists of a sampling of works from artists represented by about 35 galleries.



I'm guessing that the event on Wednesday was free to the press and to anyone that had received invitations in advance. The rest of the event will be 1000 yen for anyone over age 10 (free for those 10 and under). I got in at the cost of one business card.


(Amano's Gatchaman and Time Boken pieces)

As I said, I'm not a big fan of modern art, and there's a LOT of modern art in this exhibit. But, I am a fan of anime and manga, and both Umezz and Amano have works on exhibit here. Amano works in a wide variety of styles and media, and the gallery representing him at 101Tokyo - Art Statements - only carries his automotive paint on metal works. There were a couple of pieces with the Gatchaman and Time Boken characters, as well as some original artwork.



101Tokyo includes paintings, sculptures, 3D pieces, and live performance works. Some of it I liked, some I didn't. This is an international show, with artists and galleries from Africa, Hong Kong, Okinawa, New York and various cities across Japan. (Yes, I know that Okinawa is part of Japan, but that's not their choice.)


(You really need to zoom on this picture to see all the little detail work that it consists of)

If you're a fan of this kind of art, then this is the kind of art you'll like.

2 comments:

Elvia said...

This Tokyo art fair was lovely. I heard about this and was searching for the same from few weeks. Thanks for sharing all those details with me. download games

Rohit said...

I had been to the Tokyo contemporary Art Fair last year and i have seen some of the best art designs there there were many International designs as well and i enjoyed some best handbags collections.