Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Small adventures 9

Some months ago, my laptop started running slow. It'd take about 15 minutes just to power up, and if there was a windows or firefox update, it'd just run dog slow for an hour or two. Initially, I thought it had something to do with Norton, or some Windows version, and I just put up with it. It's 6 years old, and the idea of getting a new PC and having to buy all new software didn't appeal to me (mainly because of the cost of the new software). Then, a few days ago, I was working on the Control Panel and accidently brought up the system stats. It said that I only had 256 meg of RAM on board. I found the user manual from the manufacturer's website, and it said that there was only one expansion slot, which could take up to 512 meg max. Along with the 256 onboard, that would give me 768 meg, which would be better than nothing. So, Sunday, after work, I ran the 2 blocks to Yodobashi Camera in Akihabara, and picked up a 512 meg memory stick for 5000 yen ($55 USD) a few minutes before closing. Monday, I opened up the laptop only to find that the expansion slot already had 256 meg installed from when I bought it. Apparently, the memory just stopped being recognized by the PC at some point, which explained the eventual slowdown. I put in the new card and the laptop ran just as fast as back when I first bought it. Yay, me!

Unfortunately, this morning the screen came up blank. This had also happened once or twice before, but restarting the laptop usually fixed the problem. Not this time. So, I'm now on someone else's PC, and am looking for a new machine after all. Sigh. What this all means is that until I get this situation resolved one way or another, I'm not going to be able to maintain my blogs for a while. Sorry about the inconvenience.

1 comment:

Bunny said...

Removing Norton is probably a good thing. I don't care if Shokotan dresses up in bunny suits and drivels about how wonderful it is. It's a bloated goat.

Still nowhere near as bad as sun-denshi's Rooster wireless routers though. Those are really hard to beat.