Saturday, March 13, 2010

I live my life in Cars



One of the most common sights in Tokyo is that of 5 or 10 vehicles stopped alongside a road somewhere, with the drivers fast asleep, or trying to sleep. In most areas, the police will drop by at fixed times of the day and write up traffic tickets. Not sure why there's always some group of drivers that stick around long enough to get caught, but the traffic cops sure can keep busy this way.

However, some people seem to take sleeping to greater extremes than others.




It's well known that Tokyo has a shortage of parking space, and that there's this ability to come up with unique ways to overcome the problem. But this is the first time I've seen this one. I've seen the 6-story tall car vending machines, and the stack-and-racks. Here, we've got the Pez dispensers.





Kind of gives me the impression of a compactor. I'd hate to have fallen asleep in the back of this car and been left behind by my friends. And, there doesn't seem to be a lot of space between the door and the wall (on this side of the car, anyway). Japan, land of the fearless parkers!



A chain-driven car lift variant on the stack-and-rack.




When I was in Fuchinobe, which is not known for being a hotbed of otaku subculture, I encountered this "itasha" (vehicle covered with anime/video game related decals). Yes, regardless of what the mainstream press says about otaku, not everyone hangs around in Akihabara all the time. Some work out in the 'burbs.





Thank you, Gary Numan.

I live my life in Cars

2 comments:

Shiroibara said...

It's not uncommon for truck drivers in the US to sleep in their trucks while on long hauls (some even have the bed in the back of the cab). Do you think that is the case with these drivers?

Also, did you figure out a way to recover stuff from your old hard drive yet?

TSOTE said...

In the U.S., you see the cab beds on the big semis. It's rare to see trucks that big on the regular streets around town. I'm not sure when the last time is that I've seen a big semi. That, and most long hauls in Japan aren't going to be more than 8-10 hours, tops. For the drivers I'm talking about, most are in small trucks about the size of a van, or in cars. This is just a way for them to kill a few hours between deliveries.

No, not yet. None of the files there are really critical, and the ones that I do want to use are for Garo, which I can rescan or re-type. I'll wait until an opportunity opens up. Thanks.