Monday, May 31, 2010

Japanino Tutorials

This blog entry is specifically for Vix, who is one of the people that I know is interested in the Gakken Otona no Kagaku kits, and who has spent a lot of time and effort mastering the twin lens camera. Vix has expressed interest in getting the Japanino micro-controller kit when it finally arrives in the U.S. So, Vix, I give this shout out to you.

For anyone else that wants to pick up the Japanino and has never done circuit work before, and isn't familiar with the Arduino that the Gakken kit is based on, I wrote up a short series of tutorial pages on my knol site. If you want to get started learning how to program the Japanino before you actually have it in your hands, you can grab the programming environment (called IDE) from either the Gakken or Arduino sites and install it on your Mac or PC. You can also take the programs (called "sketches") from either the Arduino site or my tutorial pages and compile them even if you don't have the Japanino connected up yet (you just can't execute the sketches if you don't have the Japanino hooked up).



Finally, I uploaded a short video to youtube of the Japanino running a sketch I wrote showing some of the patterns you can display on the P.O.V. that comes packaged with the kit. I just wanted to let you know that you can do a lot with the Japanino kit, even though it's really just 7 LEDs, one switch and a speaker. (Just think what you can do if you have *8* LEDs!)

No comments: