Thursday, July 8, 2010

Tokyo Skylines



Being next to the ocean, Tokyo can get some interesting cloud patterns when the weather turns strange. In the first two shots, I was in Akihabara, facing towards Tokyo Tower, as evening fell and the threat of rain built up. I'd just got a new cell phone (the old one was a 2G phone, and the phone company was phasing out 2G support, forcing me to go to 3G) and I figured this was a good time to try out the camera function. Unfortunately, I think the software for pre-paid phones is fairly poor, so the fuzziness of the shots, even though it's set for night-time lighting, is more a matter of the auto-correction software than it is the CCD being used. (It's a Softbank phone).






The next shots were more recent, from the Kanagawa area south of Tokyo, facing Shinjuku. I'm not sure what the tower is off to the right by itself, but I think it's the new Sky Tree, 2 miles the other side of Akihabara. (Farther to the right, past the edge of the image below, is the Tokyo city-center, and Tokyo Tower.)



This is what you get when you put new crayons in the camera.

3 comments:

jaydeejapan said...

Nice photos. Yes, that tower is the Sky Tree. They're working on the lower observation deck now.

Mr Alchemy said...

Nice shots. I think it's time for somebody to get a DSLR...

TSOTE said...

jaydeejapan - Thanks. What was throwing me off was the relative positions between the sky tree and Shinjuku. From my office in Akihabara, I can easily see the Tree as being a couple of miles east of Ueno. But from Noborito, which is more south and west, the Tree looks like it's way too far to the west, closer to Shinjuku than Tokyo. But the shape as seen from Noborito matches what the Tree should look like.

Mr. A - The problem is portability. I carry everything in my backpack, or in a small fanny pack when I'm on my bike. A DSLR is too bulky for my lifestyle. But I do agree that it would help improve my shots here for the blog.