Saturday, August 14, 2010

Hard Black



To be honest, I first saw this Golgo 13 coffee in the Metropolis magazine, and I decided to check it out. It's a little hard to find, since it's only available from Sunkus and Circle K convenience stores. Fortunately, there are two such stores in Akihabara within a 5 minute walk from the station.

The text on the front says "Man's Hard Black, this bitterness... isn't bad..." and "Man's Cafe Au Lait, I don't need sweetness..."



On the back it's just marketing speak announcing an unsweetened strong dark roast coffee, called "Man's Hard Black" and "Man's Cafe Au Lait". While the Metropolis writer said that the taste is typical of this kind of Japanese can coffee - i.e., burned rubber tires - I beg to differ. It's a dark roast, so there definitely is a burned bean/charcoal taste, but it's not that bad, and it definitely doesn't taste like tires. All cup coffees tend to be overpriced so I won't get this one again, but it was actually pretty good. And I like the artwork.

I wish they'd tied up with Kochira wa Kame Ari, when they had the two-chapter story with Ryoutsu trying to launch his own line of "Man's coffee" several years ago.

No comments: