Wednesday, September 8, 2010

JLPT N3, follow up

Back on July 4, after I took the Japanese Language Proficiency Test (JLPT), people that I talked to about it seemed a little disgusted that I couldn't tell if I'd passed or not. It's a simple question, "do you think you did well on it, or didn't you"? The problem was that there's only about 36 questions per section, and you need 60% on each section to pass. I'd messed up on how much time I had left for the first section, and the clock ran out while I still had two questions unanswered. In my mind, it was too close to call, because I felt I was going to end up right around 60% on at least 2 of the 3 sections.

So, I come home one day, and the results letter from the JLPT is waiting for me. Vocabulary/Grammar is 36 out of 60 points; Reading 36 of 60 points; and, Listening is 42 of 60 points. That's 60% on the nose, 58% and 70%. But I've only been given letter grades (A=>67%; B=34%-66%; C=<34%) on two of the sections (B and B), so it almost looks like Listening pulled Reading up into the passing range. But, I'm not really sure how the grading works because it's not explained in the letter. Anyway, my gut feeling was dead-on. It was too close to call.



However, and this is the part that causes me to keep re-reading the letter to see if I got it wrong, the results section says "Passed". The letter itself says "This is to certify that the person shown above has passed" the JLPT. So, I guess that's a good thing.



Now, on to N2, which is the first really hard level.