Sunday, September 19, 2010

Seen on the Train, 3

Back in April, the Japan Times Bilingual section ran an "educational" piece by Kaori Shoji that was in part a review of Natsumi Iwasaki's "If the Girl Manager of a High School Baseball Team Read Drucker's 'The Practice of Management'", and part glorification of girl managers. I don't really like reading anything by Shoji because she's fairly anti-Japanese male, and I don't think she's that good of a writer (especially her movie reviews). But, I always study the Bilingual page for learning Japanese faster. After seeing Shoji's article, I kind of kept an eye open at the bookstores for Iwasaki's book, but after not finding it, I kind of forgot about it.



Then, I started noticing this manga-like school girl character showing up as a sticker on the inside of some of the Odakyu trains. After taking the photo I deciphered the ad copy, only to discover that it's promoting "Girl Manager". A little later, I did see the book at one of the shops - it's all in text and the only "manga" part is the cover (which looks just like this sticker). And, according to the sticker, the book has "sold 1 million copies".

No comments: