Thursday, October 21, 2010

Old Museum Exhibit on 2 Garo Artists



I'd mentioned in the AX volume reviews that by accident I bought one issue that had an ad for a manga exhibit scheduled for May 29 to Sept. 2, 2001, for Kuniko Tsurita and Shouhei Kusunoki. Because the Kawasaki City Museum is less than 30 minutes away from my apartment by bike, I figured that one day when the weather was good I'd ride in and see if they still had the exhibit book for sale. Given that they had the "300 Years of Manga book" from a 1999 exhibit, anything was possible. First, though, I went to the KCM website and looked in their online store to see if I could luck out that way. Unfortunately, the KT/SK book wasn't in the listings.

Along the way, I wanted to stop at the construction site for the Fujiko F Fujio museum currently going up about 1 mile from the Noborito station, and is actually along the way to KCM. I took a couple of photos of the construction site (progress is a bit slow right now) and then tried to see if I could find a good route to KCM. The roads in the area don't have shoulders and it's dangerous to ride on the main streets. The sidewalks are narrow and bumpy so that's inconvenient as well. I wanted to find a shortcut that would take me to the Tamagawa river, where there's a relatively decent bike path, but none of the twisty little streets would go more than a couple of blocks before petering out. After about 10 minutes, I found myself completing a big circle that brought me back to the construction site.

About 20 minutes later than I wanted to be, I got to KCM. Of course, the gift shop didn't have the KT/SK book after all, but they suggested that I go up to the third floor where they had a small public library. The staff was really friendly, but the book just doesn't seem to be available anywhere. At one point, the curator of the Yuichi Yokoyama exhibit came over and talked to me. She was incredibly helpful and we talked for about 20 minutes. Turns out, though, that the KT/SK exhibit had been fairly small, and had been assembled by the previous curator now working at a university campus. But, she promised to forward my email address to him and see if he might still have some biographical data on Kuniko and Shouhei. She then found the original ads for the KT/SK exhibit (pretty much the same as what had been in the AX magazine, but much better quality) and emailed them to me (pictured here by permission).

Given all of the other serendipity going on lately, I'd like to think that I might continue getting lucky.

No comments: