Saturday, October 9, 2010

Yanase Takashi

Ok. I received a comment from A.B. recently saying that TSOJ is becoming a go-to place for manga history. While I like the sound of that, I'm not sure I can really live up to the expectations. Case in point is Yanase Takashi. The creator of "Anpanman", Yanase, age 91, has been a fixture in the manga world for quite a while now. However, because Anpanman is aimed at very young kids I haven't had much interest in following his career. Kind of a shame I guess, since I did watch the anime when I first came to Japan in 1993, and it often was pretty funny.

Anyway, there's a new exhibit running at the Kyoto Manga Museum now focusing on Yanase's earlier manga, which apparently was originally targeted at adults. I had no idea that he'd done anything other than Anpanman, although I'd never bothered to check. There's a really good write up on both the artist and the exhibit in English, and it certainly makes it look like the exhibit is worth checking out. (I'm not really in a position to go to Kyoto at this point, though.)

What really bugs me the most about this, though, is that according to the exhibit write-up, this one is based on a showing held at the Yayoi museum in Tokyo. I've been following the shows at the Yayoi, trying to see if there's another one I want to go to, and I don't remember ever seeing an announcement there for something on Yanase. Sigh.

2 comments:

A.B. said...

You have to cut yourself some slack! The economic concerns of the publishing industry nowadays mean that the pace at which this information will be brought into English is glacial at best. It's up to the fans and devotees to keep priming the consciousness of the comics world with great material (e.g. your Garo summaries) in order to keep this stuff relevant. I doubt that half this stuff would see the light of day on bookshelves were it not for the internet fan scene that surrounds it. Keep up the good work!

TSOTE said...

Thanks. Slack cut.