Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Ballerina Asuka



I recently picked up a new compact camera. (Actually, it's used - a Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ7. I got it from SofMap in Akihabara for 13,000 yen, or about $150 USD.) I wanted to see how well it would work for taking close-up indoor shots of anime-related figures, so when I stopped at 7-11 on the way to work, I was specifically looking for toys to buy as I got some snacks. The Evangelion Portraits 6 set caught my eye, and seeing as it was on the discount shelf I figured that it wasn't all that expensive to get one box for 478 yen. Turns out that I'd fooled myself - 478 yen ($5) was the retail price and the box wasn't being discounted. On the other hand, the figure I got was very detailed and well worth the price. It even came with a small piece of gum (so much for the "toy packaged with the candy" gimmick).





The figure comes disassembled. The Asuka ballerina version has 10 pieces, including the stand. It looks like it's worth much more than just the $5.



The camera behaved well, adapting much better to the indoor fluorescent lighting than my old one ever did. The auto correction features do ok as long as the camera is aimed down at the table, but it wants to focus on the background when aiming upwards towards the ceiling. The flash results are too harsh for this specific figure, though, although they retain the original colors better than the auto-mode does. Ballerina Asuka is very cute.

The below pictures were taken in auto mode. The ones above were in manual mode with the flash turned on. Another thing is that in auto-mode, the pictures are half the resolution of manual mode, so they're all half the file size, and half the amount of visual detail.





No comments: