Friday, November 19, 2010

Harley Piece



7-11 has this big One Piece promotion going on, with snacks, crackers and ramen packaged either with One Piece artwork, or along with a character figure. One evening, I was looking for something to snack on prior to starting work teaching English, and I noticed a chicken/pasta dish that had a One Piece sticker on it. The sticker identifies the chicken curry, and omelet rice dishes as either being the favorites of Lufy, Chopper or Sanji. But, that's it. It's just this sticker on the outside of a pre-made dish. Not sure what the point is (maybe it's saying that if you buy 500 yen or more worth of these products at a time, you're entered into a drawing at the register to win a One Piece poster). The silvery area in the photo is just a piece of plastic over the chicken that's gotten covered in condensed steam.




Anyway, I wanted something to drink along with the meal, and I decided to pick up the Boss Gold Presso coffee, which included one of 9 Harley Davidson bikes. The coffee tastes like most can coffees, only maybe a little sweeter with more cream. The bike is the 2003 Dyna Low Rider. It doesn't travel well on its own, but the handlebars and kick stand both move. This is the closest I'll probably ever get to owning the real thing.










A few days later, I went back to 7-11 to get something else to eat for the day, and this time I was willing to splurge a little and get the cup ramen with One Piece figure for 500 yen (I needed to break a 10,000 yen note, worth $120 USD, and I didn't want to just buy a 50 yen stick of gum to do it). Suddenly, I find out that almost all of the One Piece meal items are gone and all that's left are the funky Fritolay chips. The Sogeking chips are kind of amusing, in that the character shoots hot pepper balls at people, and these puffed corn chips are fairly spicy. But, they don't really taste all that great.

No comments: