Thursday, December 30, 2010
Celes, Turbulence and Gyroscope
(Celes - 1:8)
For the Gakken Akari kit (Otona no Kagaku #29), the publishers included pre-creased paper for two different origami patterns - Celes and Checker - and instructions for a couple others, including Turbulence. Celes and Checker were both doable. Celes did give me an incredibly hard time, but after several hours, and building it several times, I kind of got the hang of it. Checker was much less of a challenge, but still satisfying when I was done.
During my end of year break, I started thinking that Celes might be more interesting if the paper strips were longer. I pulled out my sheets of construction paper, and through trial and error settled on 6 strips each of 5 colors, 3 cm by 24 cm. Because of all the folding needed just to prepare the strips, the total construction time was close to 4 hours. I kind of like the overall effect, but I'm thinking that 3 cm by 21 cm might be a better ratio.
Then I sat down and tried to do Turbulence. No matter how I tried it, the instructions (in Japanese of course) just would not make sense. So I went to the net and tried doing a google search on "turbulence origami". That's when I discovered that these are all well-known patterns, and that Turbulence and Celes were both developed by the same person - Miyuki Kawamura. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to find instructions for Turbulence, but Celes is well-documented. In fact, the primary approach to this kind of origami is to treat the strips as 1:5, 1:6, 1:7 and 1:8 ratios, and just by pure accident I'd picked 1:8. Still, I haven't found any examples of people using 5 colors of paper for making the stars, so I'm not too disappointed with how it turned out.
As I was looking for youtube tutorials for Celes, I happened on one from Origami Nut for something called Gyroscope. Watching it, I got the hankering to try making it with the Japanese "washi" paper I'd bought at the Ochanomizu Origami Kaikan (I'd used this paper to make my Akari lantern).
Here are the results. The squares are 10 cm. The underlying paper used for making the interlocking corners is just plain yellow construction paper. I like the way this turned out, even though the photos don't do it justice.