Saturday, March 12, 2011

Noise sensor

Update:
The Tokyo area was mostly back to normal yesterday, with the trains running slower and on a reduced schedule. Most stores are still open, but my office has chosen to close until further notice (maybe until Tuesday). The spilled coffee stains in the carpet are getting cleaned up, there are still piles of books and magazines to sort through, and the repairman may come in to look at the TV tomorrow. We're ok.

---------------------------------

This was interesting (to me, anyway). While I was out exploring the Tokyo Agricultural University campus in Setagaya Ward two weeks ago, I ended up wandering a little ways north, about 2 blocks west of Setagaya Douri. I found this sensor box bolted to a fence at the back of a building. From where I stood, I could hear some major construction (new buildings) going up along the street on the other side of Setagaya, 2 blocks away. Occasionally, one of the cranes would drop something and the sensor would register it. No idea what the data is being used for, but it's one way for residents to verify complaints that the construction work is excessively noisy.



騒音 - Noise
振動 - Vibration

And now with the earthquake, I wonder what the readings were at the time.

1 comment:

TSOTE said...

Just to let you know - the Tokyo area escaped mostly unscathed. There was a fire in Odaiba, the shopping and amusement park area built on a man-made island adjacent to Tokyo, and the big fire at the oil refinery in Chiba (Chiba is the next prefecture over from Tokyo). There may have been some older, small buildings that collapsed, but nothing within Tokyo that I know about. No torn up streets. No flooding. No tsunami damage. My part of Tokyo is still doing ok.

All of the photos being shown on the news are from areas 100-300 miles north of Tokyo. I'm not close to any of that.