Sunday, August 28, 2011

Commentary: Monthly Ikki


(All rights belong to their owners. Images used here for review purposes only.)

Monthly Ikki (550 yen, 440 pages) is described in the wiki entry as a "seinen" (for young men) publication, but a good half of the volume I read feels like it's aimed at women. In those stories, the artwork is often light and airy, and the themes are along the lines of the daily lives of women, or boys love. A case in point is the cover story - Golondrina, by est em, where a fragile young man seems to be fantasizing over a Spanish bullfighter.


(Golondrina)

The themes in this magazine do range all over the place, but with an emphasis on fantasy, horror, gags and Edo-period drama. As with most manga, there's good artwork and bad. Because I am generally attracted to the artwork before getting into the story, I can easily say that there is little new in Ikki that immediately grabs me, outside of possibly Afterschool Charisma.


(Random example manga: Boku wa Tsuakon ("I'm Heavenly Tsuakon").)

On the other hand, I really like Dorohedoro despite the muddy 1980's style drawing. I think I'm going to have to go to Book Off and see which of the most recent issues I can get my hands on.

Titles that may be familiar to western readers are:

Natsume Ono's Futa ga shira
Children of the Sea

There's no freebies in this issue, but I'd get it solely for Dorohedoro, if I needed something to read on the train.

No comments: