Monday, January 23, 2012

My New Gakken Blog

I mentioned this before, but I want to increase my visibility more.

google has decided to discontinue its knol system, and replaced it with something called annotum. I don't like the new application at all, but in trying to move my knol files over, I had to create an account on the wordpress blogging system. I figure that because I have the account anyway, I might as well use it for hosting a Gakken-dedicated blog.

The new blog has been up for close to a month, and I've been rerunning a past review of the Otona no Kagaku kits per day. I also have the knol files converted and accessible from the menu at the top of the page, and I've added some supporting pages for a short history of Japanese science, and translations of the news announcements from both the Otona no Kagaku homepage and their Facebook page.

Right now, there's only about 15-20 page views a day (compared to the 50-75 for the old Otona no Kagaku kit list knol alone), and half of that seems to be either spambots or browser robots. I'm thinking the problem is that yahoo and google haven't registered the blog in their search lists yet.

I've got another 4 backlogged kit reviews to post from the numbered mook series, plus maybe 6 reviews of the unnumbered kits (the sound vibrator, the synth, the vacuum tube radio, etc.) This will take me right up to the release of the desktop vacuum robot (#33). The official release date is set for Jan. 30, but it usually takes 2-3 days for new products to reach Kyushu. Then, it may be another day or two before I can build the kit, take the photos and write up the review. So, if the timing works out right, the kit #33 review will be the last one published on a daily schedule and I'll drop down to maybe a post a month, depending on how often Gakken comes out with new press releases, or new kits.

P.S. : Gakken has run out of blank blocks for purchase for the Denshi mini kit. They have also teamed up with the rock band White Stripes to produce a WS-themed version of the theremin kit (available in the U.S. for $50). Finally, Gakken celebrated getting 2000 likes on their facebook page by writing a new sketch for the Japanino POV kit.



P.P.S : They've also just announced kit #33 as their latest kit on the Otono no Kagaku home page. And they've taken down the link for "Next Up", so there's no hint now about what #35 is going to be.

No comments: