Wednesday, April 11, 2012

I Want to Be


Kagoshima has two kinds of English teaching positions in the public schools - ALT and AEA. The ALT (Assistant Language Teacher) acts as the primary English instructor for young students, while the regular Japanese teacher "helps" by turning all of the English into katakana pronunciations. The AEA is more of a part-time fill-in. The common point between the two positions is that you go to different schools each day. I applied for the AEA position last Fall, and got the letter in Feb. telling me I made the preliminary rounds, and that I would have to go through an interview process 10 days later. The process would consist of 2 parts - a group interview where both our English and Japanese skills would be tested with oral essay questions. The individual test would be a 10-15 minute teaching simulation in front of 3 ALTs acting as elementary students. All applicants had to teach the phrase "I want to be..." I heard one of the other guys doing a dancing and singing lesson. I spent several hours creating 20 pictures (I want to be an astronaut, I want to be taller, I want to be stronger) and then making a playing board to turn it into a dice game. I did ok on the English essay part, but got some of the Japanese questions wrong.

The game seemed to go over pretty well, but I got the rejection letter at the end of March. I talked to someone else that had been selected, and he suggested that my English is just at too high a level for small children. Sigh.

Anyway, I don't have a need for these pictures now. The one above was the best of the group.

No comments: