Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Torus project




I've had this idea in the back of my mind to make a kind of geometric torus out of paper for a while, and a few days ago I sat down to try to figure out how to draw the pattern on a flat sheet of paper first.  I figured that my notebook of graph paper would be good for this, until I discovered that the metric ruler I have doesn't match up with the spacing on the paper.  That is, the Japanese graph paper that uses a metric system for paper dimensions, isn't itself metric.  But, the fold lines for the figure would be too much of a pain to draw out on construction paper, so I just kind of winged it with the graph paper anyway.  Pretty quickly, I realized I messed up with the corner angle.  So, this is as close to a 2-part circular ring as I got.  It's actually a handle used for carrying 3 other handles.  Maybe this is why architects make models of their buildings before actually pouring out the concrete foundation.

No comments: