Friday, June 8, 2012

Venus Transit

After having missed so many of the other astronomical events for the last 6 months, I wasn't holding out much hope for the Venus Transit that occurred Tuesday morning, the 6th.  I woke up naturally around 5:50 AM, and the sky was already lit up and beautifully clear, but the shadows on the neighboring buildings were still at about a height of 3-4 stories.  None of the open spaces within hobbling distance had a view of the sun, so I went back to sleep.  At 11 AM, the sun was high enough in the sky to clear the buildings immediately around me, and I could see it from the street in front of my apartment with no trouble.  The black dot was visible towards the 11 o'clock position on the sun, and well as a few really big black spots.  As I was watching through the solar eclipse viewing glasses, a neighbor from the apartments next door approached me and asked to use the glasses as well.  Otherwise, I was the only one on the street looking up.  I hadn't heard anything about school or planetarium-led viewing events, but the NHK radio news announcer did mention the transit as being visible across the entire country.


I'm happy.  Now waiting to see it again in 2117.

No comments: