Saturday, August 11, 2012

Verbal x Zima

There are times, I guess, when I would like to know more about the background of a product before I encounter it.  A case in point, a few nights ago I went to the convenience store to get something to drink.  I was looking through the coolers specifically for something that had a toy packaged with it.  When I got to the Zima bottles (240 yen), I saw that one had a button that looked like a color newsprint reprint of an old Plastic-man comic, and the other had a big blue plastic "alien finger".  There wasn't anything else worth buying so I decided on the blue finger.  Once outside, I removed the plastic strip isolating the battery, and tried to figure out how to turn it on. It's a rip-off of E.T.'s finger from the "E.T." movie, and it glows twice briefly if you move it quickly.  Kind of cute, but not something with a lot of replay value, unless maybe if you take it to a nightclub.  (The circuit is completely sealed, and you'd have to destroy the finger to replace the battery.)



So, when I started writing this article, I discovered that the packaging doesn't have a URL.  There is "Verbal x Zima" printed on the front, which brought me to the Zima website.  From there, I got "M-Flo Verbal", which took me to the wiki page for Verbal.  Turns out that M-Flo is a 2-man Japanese hip-hop group and that Verbal is the Korean Emcee.



And this brings me back to my original point.  If I'd known that I was going to be buying a product that you can't replace the battery on, designed by the Korean emcee of a Japanese hip-hop group for a failed drink that was discontinued in the U.S., I would have settled for getting a One-Cup Ozeki instead.

2 comments:

Tamie Hopper said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
TSOTE said...

If you want to contact me directly, you can use the email link at the top of my blog.