Friday, October 5, 2012

Some obscure music videos

Don't Call Us, Sugarloaf


I grew on radio music as a kid, and every so often I start remembering a particular song I heard in the 70's or 80's and wonder what the title was.  Most recently, this happened with "Don't Call Us".  I found this video on youtube, and what I like best about it is that it's a stopmotion showing how to assemble an old telephone.


Do You Feel Like I Do?, Peter Frampton


This is the song that put Frampton on the maps when he was still trying to hit it big. The key hook was the vocoding done on his voice halfway through. His approach was to run an airtube from the guitar to his mouth, and then use his mouth as a sound mixer while singing. I've always liked the final effect, and because I now have the Kaossilator Pro, I can do something similar more easily.

Locomotive Breath, Jethro Tull


This is one of my all-time favorite songs, and I like Jethro Tull in general (my favorite is Wind-Up, off the Aqualung album.)


Hocus Pocus, by Focus


The Dutch band Focus was basically a one-hit wonder in the U.S., but Hocus Pocus was a BIG hit. I like this song mainly because it's like having 3 songs in one, and this video because Thijs van Leer looks like he's going to explode.


Smoking in the Boys Room


Brownsville Station had an interesting line-up, so it was fun just watching them perform in the videos. However, the only song that had any success on the radio (that I heard) was Smokin' in the Boys Room.


Frankenstein


The Edgar Winter Group had a number of good songs, as did Edgar's brother, Johnny. In classical music, there's something called the tone poem, in which the music tells a story minus any lyrics. While Peter and the Wolf was originally written as a musical with narration, if you strip the words out, the music, with different instruments representing each of the characters, approaches a tone poem. Rikard Strauss wrote one of the most famous tone poems - Also sprach Zarathustra - which was used for the opening theme of the movie 2001. I've always felt that Frankenstein is one of the few hard rock tone poems.

No comments: