Thursday, November 29, 2012

More artists in Magazines




Media Factory actually does live up to its name. They're a multi-media publisher, putting out anime, music, magazines, games and other products. One of their magazines is Da Vinci, (490 yen) which is kind of aimed at following media trends. The December, 2012, issue is dedicated to Mitsuru Adachi, manga artist responsible for H2, Slow Step, Touch and Q and A, among many other titles. This issue includes interviews with Adachi and a number of other people connected to his works, a complete bibliography, examples of artwork over the years, and tribute artwork from about 20 other artists.



While the issue also has reviews of mainstream books and authors, there is some representation of several different manga, as well as a monthly publication chart of manga releases from each of the other publishers. This is the first time I've noticed Da Vinci on the shelves, so it's not like it's a major force in the manga entertainment industry, but I will be watching it a little more closely in the future in case they cover someone else I may be interested in.







I mentioned this issue of Brutus in a recent blog entry, and I was considering getting it relatively soon. Then, when I returned to Junkudo bookstore, it wasn't on the main shelf anymore. I can't find the release date quickly, but I think I first saw it a year ago, so I know it was a back issue. As I was going over the shelves to see if the two issues that had been there were moved behind something, I paid attention for the first time to the shelf at the top of the bookcase. It's packed with old issues of Pen, Switch, Brutus and a couple other magazines, but only the spines are visible, which is why I ignored them up to this point. I eventually found the Ghibli special in with the back issues, where it apparently was returned after being aired out the week before.



The entire issue is dedicated to all of the movies from Studio Ghibli, with pictures of the artwork, write-ups on various Studio employees, and even a walkthrough of the museum in Tokyo. One sidebar discussed "office romances" that have taken place between artist co-workers. There's also 3 sheets of Ghibli character trading cards. No stickers, though.









Pen has something of a sister magazine called Pen+, which is dedicated to photo displays on specific topics. This particular issue is on Fujio F Fujiko, creator of Obake Q-Tarou (along with partner Fujio A Fujiko) and Doraemon. Articles include a brief biography, lots of old photos, a write-up on his time at Tokiwa-sou with Tezuka and the other Tokiwa-sou artists (Ishinomori, Fujio Akatsuka) and a walkthrough of the new FFF museum that opened up in Kawasaki last year a half-hour walk from my old apartment. A must-have for FFF fans.





No comments: