Saturday, January 5, 2013

A (almost) Quick Fix

I'm running out of things to write about for the blog right now. In part, it's because the first week of the year is usually pretty slow in Japan, since people generally go back to their home towns and stay with family, so a lot of the smaller shops and restaurants are closed during this time. The trains and airports are packed at the beginning and ending of the holiday period, but I wasn't affected by that, myself. A second reason, though, is that my camera got dropped back on Dec. 17, bringing me to the point of this entry.

It was a brand new camera, only a few months old. A Canon Powershot SX230 HS. It landed flat, screen-side down, and the screen remained completely blank when I turned it on. It wasn't cracked, but it wasn't working, either. We took it back to Best Denki, where the service desk said they'd have to send it to some repair center to have it evaluated. It'd take a week just to get an estimate back, and they'd call us when it was ready. So, a week comes and goes, and no phone call. But, it's now the start of the holidays period and I don't expect an answer until January. After 2.5 weeks, I'm getting ready to contact the service desk just to check whether they'd forgotten about us, when a call comes in Saturday morning at 9 AM, Jan. 6, telling us to come in to the Service Desk.  Fortunately, Best Denki is just a 5-7 minute walk from the apartment, a little more than halfway between us and the main train station, so we got there at 10 AM when the main store opened. There were still almost no customers at this hour, and especially so soon after the New Year holiday. We get to the desk, hand over the service order sheet, and the guy behind the counter spends a couple minutes rummaging through boxes to find the camera, and another 3 minutes trying to remove all the plastic wrap around it. Finally, he hands the camera over, saying that it was still under the original manufacturer's warranty so it was repaired right away for free.

I was expecting the warranty to be voided because the problem was due to operator error, and that it was going to cost me at least $100. So, I'm more than pleasantly surprised at how things turned out. Now I can start taking photos again for the blog. I just have to wait for something interesting to happen when I have the camera out...

No comments: