Monday, January 28, 2013

Anime Bar Nana Review


I mentioned Anime Bar Nana close to a year ago, shortly before I got hit by a car. After my foot healed 5 months later to the point where I could go exploring again, I couldn't find the place. I hiked all over the southern end of Tenmonkan where I thought I remembered seeing the sandwich board, but nothing. That's when I made a comment in my blog that it may have closed. Actually, I just didn't go west far enough. While cutting through a different set of streets at the south end, close to Terakuni shrine, I saw the sign again, and this time I took better notes for how to get back when it was open.



Nana operates at night, and is closed Mondays. The hours are:
Tue.-Sun. 7 PM - 4 AM

There's no real food on offer, and while the drink menus do show individual prices, they operate more as a "nomihodai" (all you can drink) with a fixed price of 2,000 yen ($24 USD) per person. Most places serve beer for 500 yen per glass, while cocktails and mixed drinks are 600-800 yen. Meaning you need at least 4 beers or 3-4 mixed drinks to justify the nomihodai cost. They do have a full bar, and can mix up just about anything, plus there are a couple "original drinks" that are served in glasses with anime character prints.



But, people don't really go to Nana's for the alcohol. This is a place to hang out, talk about anime and watch Gundam episodes on the TV near the bar. The PA system was playing Lupin the 3rd theme music that night.



The bartender had gone to Tokyo over the New Year break to pick up more figures and stuff from Akihabara. Can never have too much anime stuff.



No one there spoke English the night I came in, but were more than happy to talk to me in Japanese about the shows I like, and the ones that they recommend. Very friendly people. It's just that I can't justify spending 2,000 yen every week on only 2 or 3 beers, not if I have to get up and work the next morning...

No comments: