Thursday, June 20, 2013

Kagoshima Bijin Tokei




I first learned about the bijin tokei project (beautiful woman clock) about 4 years ago when I was still working in Akihabara. The idea was to take photos of women holding a sign showing the time, with each woman representing 3 or 4 times each, and then use software to display the correct photo on your computer. Since then, there have also been bidan tokei (handsome men), and city-specific clocks for Osaka, Kyoto, Shibuya and even Hawai'i. I'd heard from someone that a maid cafe clock was being shot in Akihabara, but I haven't been able to find it with a google search. In any case, a couple months ago, I stumbled across a bijin tokei photo shoot in Tenmonkan in Kagoshima, but it was just wrapping up. So, I knew that something was going on here, too. Then, on May 18, I saw a TV crew interviewing a photographer and some support staff in Tenmonkan. Nearby, a young woman was writing the time and putting in doodles on a blackboard. I hung around to ask what the URL was for the clock, but the bijin crew ignored me. Instead, I waited for them to set up in a side street and took a few quick shots before anyone could object.



No comments: