Monday, September 30, 2013

Kiri-e, Sept. 16, 2013




One of the local Kagoshima groups had another of their kiri-e (cut paper pictures) classes. It was at the Mirai-Kan (Environmental Museum) again. 300 yen, all supplies provided, but you're asked to bring your own glue and scissors. It was a smaller group than before, although the 16th was a national holiday (Respect for Elders Day), and some of the past attendees could have been forgiven for having other plans that day. It does seem, though, that kiri-e isn't all that popular a pastime. We had 6 people, three of whom were new, 2 that had attended one class before, and me. It is hard on the cutting hand, since you have to push down on the knife to ensure you cut all the way through the paper, and it does take a fair amount of concentration to make the cuts correctly. Personally, I find it to be much like any other papercraft and I like doing it as part of the process of creating stuff.


(Finished pictures.)

The sensei knew I'd be attending, and he had a couple new patterns in the intermediate range, which were expected to take longer than the 3 hours we had for the class. I was kind of thinking of trying another building, similar to the waterwheel house I did last time, but with no people in the background, however I was talked into the "2 Children Playing with a Dog". I didn't have any distractions this time, but when we got to the end of the 3 hours, I still had a couple finishing touches remaining. Fortunately, the organizer let me keep working a little longer and I had it pretty much wrapped up 15 minutes after everyone else was done.



Usually, the organizer hands out fliers to advertise the next class, but that didn't happen this time. I asked when the next class would be and got a vague answer - either November or December. I do hope that there is another class again, but I can see why the sensei would hesitate if people's enthusiasm is waning. We'll see what happens in a few weeks.




This one's mine.

No comments: