Thursday, February 13, 2014

Small Adventure #30


Been a while since I've done a "small adventure". Let's see about combining a couple and get a 2-fer-1.

I've mentioned before that even in a smaller city like Kagoshima there's almost always something going on somewhere at any given time, and if you blink you'll miss it. One of the more recent examples of this occurred one Saturday evening. The conversation school I work at has 4 classes set up where I teach one-hour lessons to 1-2 students each at 1 PM, 2 PM, 6:30 PM and 7:30 PM. That gap between 3 PM and 6:30 PM means that I have roughly 3 hours to kill, and rather than hang out somewhere, I just go home to work on the computer (15 minute walk each way). Now, on the specific Saturday in question, as I was walking back to the school at 6:10 PM, a group of workers were setting up covered tables in the event space in Tenmonkan in front of the 7-11. One table had a sign for some kind of alcohol, but I wasn't sure if it was for nihon-shu (sake) or shochu. In total, it looked like there would be 5 tables, and I assumed that it was some sort of advertising event where they would give out free samples. I never say "no" to free alcohol, so I planned on swinging back there on my way back home.

2.5 hours later, I'm done with my lessons and walking towards the 7-11. As I get there, all the tables are being torn down and bags of used paper cups being tossed into the trash. Soon, there's no sign the event ever happened.


The next day, I'm at Amupla doing some shopping with a couple other people. We're going from the main mall (Amupla) to Bic Camera on the opposite side of the main Kagoshima Chuo train station, and this requires that we get up to the second floor and go along the outdoor walkway facing the ground floor plaza. As I'm reaching the doors to the walkway, I notice a couple people standing at the railing and looking down at the plaza. I join them and see some white tents where people are selling Valentine's chocolates. In front of the tents are 4 foamhead mascots representing the best-selling snack chocolates in Japan (including Chocobo). Unfortunately, the angle from the walkway was bad, and I couldn't get a good photo of any of the foamheads, and the people I was with didn't want to hang around there for me to go downstairs by myself just to take pictures.

So I continued with the shopping, planning on going back to the plaza when I had the chance. Finally, about 2 hours later, I was on my own and I returned to the plaza just as the tables were being cleaned off and the tents torn down. The mascots themselves were long gone.

I hate it when it's not my fault that I blinked.

No comments: