Friday, April 18, 2014

Sam Loyd




A couple months ago, I was contacted by someone asking if I could buy a copy of the Q.E.D. manga that the Sam Loyd donkey puzzle was featured in. The return address was for Sam Loyd. Now, since Sam was active as a puzzle designer and chess player during the latter part of the 1800's, and passed away in 1911, I wasn't sure whether he'd come back from the grave to pull tricks on people. In fact, the sender was the curator of the Sam Loyd gallery and store in Australia, and he wanted the manga for their archives. I bought a copy and mailed it to him, and we exchanged emails for a bit longer. He asked if I'd done the donkey puzzle in the book and I replied that I hadn't wanted to chop the book up. Then he offered to mail me some of the puzzle cards they sell.



The package finally arrived, along with a couple other puzzles and optical illusions. They're all really cool. Now, I need to find people in Japan that like puzzles and see if there's a market here for them... In the meantime, check out the website. Buy some of the puzzles. Revel in the brilliance that is Sam Loyd.

No comments: