Sunday, May 4, 2014

Lotteria Tower Burger




Last Fall, I wrote about Lotteria's Fryday, where they were offering a limited number of 5-patty shrimp burgers for 500 yen ($5 USD). The thing was dry, there wasn't enough tartar sauce, the buns tore apart when I tried to pick it up, and they didn't provide a fork with it. Well, in the middle of March Lotteria started advertising the same campaign, with Super Cheese Day on one Saturday, and Super Fryday the next week. I like cheeseburgers, and I wanted to try this one out at least once. So, as I was coming home between lessons at the English school, I dropped in. A sign indicated that they only had enough materials for 380 orders.



Lotteria was also running a tie-in with the Clash of Titan anime, where you could get some CoT toy with a purchase of a 5-, 8- or 10-patty burger for 2,000 yen. I don't like CoT, so I'm saving my money for other stuff. Like a root canal, or membership at an exercise gym.



The burger was wrapped up really nicely in the wax paper, but when I got the paper open it insisted on slowly sliding over to one side as I was getting the camera ready.



Initially, the melting cheese added to the grease as the thing slid apart, while the top couple slices of cheese refused to melt. The buns held together so I could eat it as a sandwich, but the patties were so juicy it was like eating grease-filled sponges. There was no real meat or cheese flavor, just the heavy taste of black pepper. I'd learned my lesson from last time, and brought my own fork and bottle of catsup. But, when I got halfway through the sandwich and was preparing to squirt on more catsup, the cheese had fused the patties together like cement so I couldn't pull them apart for adding the catsup. It definitely was filling for the price, but not something I want to eat any more often than once every 6 months.

Looks exactly like the photo in the poster, though...

1 comment:

zillustration said...

heart attack on a bun. I fall for the advertising mantra every other year and buy a BK or McD burger... I always ask myself "Why did I do that?"