Saturday, May 24, 2014

Moon, Again




The weather in April had been extremely unpredictable, going from perfectly clear skies one night to heavy rain the next. This made taking pictures of the moon very frustrating. One night, the sky was overcast, but the moon was somewhat visible through the clouds. The thing is that the air was really humid, and I was thinking that if there was any chance of getting some kind of photo, I'd be better off climbing up Shiroyama, the big hill near the apartment, and see if there were any breaks in the clouds for a few seconds from the parking lot of the hotel at the top of the hill. Since it was after midnight, I was expecting a security guard to ask me what I was doing there at that time. And, sure enough, after about 10 minutes, one guy did come out to the lot, but when I greeted him, he kind of panicked and veered off to hide behind the nearby restaurant building.



The clouds never did fully break, but they thinned enough at one point that I tried taking photos anyway. The camera did a pretty good job of ignoring the mist, but it would have been better if I had a rock-solid tripod.








Then, around the 16th, the sky was bone-dry. Even better, I had the full moon, plus Mars in the sky. This time, I just went to the park next to the Kotsuki river and set up the tripod there.





The moon plus Mars. If you look closely at the lower left corner of the above photo, you can almost make out one more pinpoint of light.





This is the kind of photo I've been wanting to take with a camera for years.

No comments: