Monday, July 21, 2014

Ogionsa, Day 2




I couldn't get out of the apartment until about 4 PM on Sunday. Since the mikoshi parade had started at 10 AM or so and was scheduled to end at 5:30 PM, I was expecting that I'd missed a fair amount of the activities. And, I was right. Many of the mikoshi groups had either packed up for the day, or were resting prior to packing up. But there were a few groups from companies like Kagoshima bank, still on the street.





A few people dressed up as monks were handing out charms or something to the older members of the audience.



Not all of the groups were color-coded, but the ones that were, were very eye-catching.



At least one mikoshi group had a practice of raising young children up onto the shrine platform, either for good luck or as a kind of blessing.





The top of one of the big umbrella props, set aside for display.



It's not a matsuri without the tengu. Those geta are not easy to walk on.



The big umbrella props. Some of the men will carry them one-handed, or on their chin. Although I think one of the carriers was a woman, who had the umbrella standing on her shoulder for a while. Notice that the banner of one of the poles has gotten wrapped around the top of the street light. Eventually, the pole bearers got it unwrapped.





The main feature cart. This particular kind of shot was used on the Ogionsa advertising posters and I tried to replicate it. I'm pretty sure that these women were the two "princesses" that took the stage as part of Saturday's opening ceremonies. I can't tell if they're looking severe, dedicated, bored, or really angry at having their pictures taken for several hours on end.





A different cart with dignitaries, I guess.



The fascinating thing about Ogionsa, for me, is the variety of approaches the companies take with their parade groups.



My little pony.



One group had school kids carrying smaller children in palanquins. Again, there's a certain amount of boredom displayed on people's faces... The box in the foreground is for charity donations if people want to toss in some of their spare change.

Youtube link


The rest of the matsuri can be seen on the youtube video. At the end of the event, the one taiko group I could find played a short 4-minute set. When they finished, it started to rain. Initially, just a light drizzle. Things broke up fast at that point. A few blocks up, a different taiko group was at an intersection, putting their drums away, but I don't think they actually played the closing set. Anyway, I got into the Tenmonkan complex and as I reached the other side, the skies opened up for a major downpour, washing out everyone still on the streets. By the time I got home, I was soaked. Which brings me to Karakasa...

No comments: