Wednesday, July 30, 2014

Small Adventure #32

There's a strip park along the Kotsuki river, near the apartment. It's the one that hosts the flower and garden booths for a full month in May. I usually walk on the other side of the river when I travel to and from the main Chuo train station, but one night I decided to return by walking along the park.

As I'd gotten about a third of the way along the park, I heard some guy shouting, really loud and really angry. It took me a few seconds to find him - he was in the phonebooth one block ahead of me. This was unusual in and of itself because I almost never see anyone using public phones anymore. Everyone has smartphones.

But, here this guy was, an older office worker wearing a black business suit with white shirt and tie, maybe in his 50's or early 60's, just screaming into the phone at 9 at night. It was hard to tell if he was drunk, but he'd probably had at least a couple drinks. He was using Kagoshima dialect, and I had trouble figuring out most of what he was saying. He'd scream, hang up, then call again. He would pause long enough to let the other person talk, but whatever was being said just made him more incensed. I got the impression that what had happened was that he'd gone home only to find that his wife had locked him out of the apartment. He'd then resorted to using the public phone to find out why she'd kicked him out, and she wasn't interested in explaining herself.

By the time I reached the end of the park, the person on the other end of the line hung up on the guy and his only option was to wander around in the park, trying to figure out what to do next.

No comments: