Tuesday, September 2, 2014

Kiri-e Escher




It's been a while since I last did a kiri-e (cut paper picture), and there haven't been any class events announced on facebook, so I decided that I'd try my hand at something a little closer to my own interests. I'd been looking for various ideas, and one that I kept coming back to was for one of M.C. Escher's repeating, interlocking mosaic murals. My initial intent was to make the pattern as individual pieces and then assemble them like tiles, but that proved to be too difficult to try just by hand (I may do something in the computer at a later date). Instead, I tackled this one of three-colored moths/butterflies.

The finished work is 8" x 11" (A4 sized), and took about 2 solid weeks to assemble. There are 29 moths, and each one took about 1 hour to cut out. Then maybe another 20-30 minutes each to clean up the lines, and another few hours to put in the colored paper for the body-wings, and the wing "eyes". It didn't come out exactly the way I wanted, and I had a lot of trouble controlling the cuts of the black background paper, but it's not too disappointing. Actually, the background sheet isn't black. I was afraid that the picture would come out too dark, because of the amount of blue and red, so I chose a darker blue/dark gray paper. It didn't cut the way I expected, and I'm wondering if there's something inherently different between black paper and the other colors.



Just in case I ever feel like going back and redoing this design, after scanning it I pulled all the color out. This will make it easier to xerox, and do the cuts. Surprisingly, this version also looks perfect for use in a children's coloring book.

I'm going to take a break from kiri-e and work on a Java programming project. After that, I think my next kiri-e may be another Escher. Or maybe not...

No comments: