Monday, September 8, 2014

Lazar


Back in the 80's, I was interested in western animation, and animation history. Along with collecting the cartoons by Tex Avery, Chuck Jones, and Bob Clampett, I also spent a lot of time watching independent films, especially those from the International Animation Festivals. These festival collections would be shown in an art theater in Minneapolis, and one such collection featured a short by local artist Gav Gnatovitch. You can see it below on Gav's youtube channel. Gav since went on to produce Longhair and Doubledome, which had a short run on Cartoon Network. He says he's working on a new short due out in early 2015.



I've wanted to get an animation cell from Lazar, but it turned out to be in the $150 range, so I commissioned Gav to do a sketch of Lazar. This is what I got for my birthday last month. Isn't he just adorable?!


No comments: