Friday, July 31, 2015

Small Adventure 41

A few days ago, I made the mistake of going outside without the pocket camera. I got down to the open space in front of Lotteria fairly late in the afternoon, and discovered that they were just shutting down after having had an ice carving event. There were 6 or 7 large sculptures, about 4 feet tall each, similar to what you find in fancy restaurants, of birds, fish, etc. The ice blocks were sitting on green sheets of astro turf, and the air was so hot I could see an actual fast stream of water rushing under the blocks through the astro turf to the drain. There were a number of children playing with one block and trying to stay cool (it probably got to about 95 degrees at mid-day). The cleaning crew had a stack of beer cases next to the wall, so I guess the event included drinking of some kind.

I had to go into Yamakataya for food shopping. I finished 15 minutes later, and when I passed the open area again, the crew had toppled all the sculptures so they were just piles of shattered ice on the ground. Blink, and you miss it.

No comments: