Monday, August 31, 2015

Kagoshima Marching Band




For the last week, there had been a small event advertised for the open area next to the Lotteria in Tenmonkan. I hadn't tried translating the kanji, but it seemed to be something safety related, and was only going to run from 2 PM to 2:30 on Saturday, the 29th. That's generally when I would be teaching English classes, but I didn't have my regular 2 PM class that day, so I got out of the school as quickly as I could and made my way straight for the Lotteria to see what was going on.



Turned out that the Kagoshima Fire Department was hosting some kind of fire safety awareness raising event, and along with the fliers, brochures and free balloons, they had their marching band playing several songs. They started with a classical medley, then did the theme song for Kiki's Delivery Service. I tried recording the following song, which was a variation on the opening theme for Meitanei Shonen Conan, but that's when the battery on the new camera ran out. In part, I had been testing how long the battery would last straight out of the box, but I should have known better and recharged it right away. Regardless, the new pocket camera is doing pretty well. I'm not all that happy with the pictures I get when the sun is behind the subject on a rainy day, but I'm still trying to get used to what this model of Canon Powershot can do, so maybe I'm not quite doing it right.



Direct youtube link


No comments: