Sunday, August 16, 2015

Old comedy


Leonard Barr, 1


One of my favorite stand-up comics in the 60's and early 70's was Leonard Barr. He'd appear on late night, and day time variety shows, and had this absolutely deadpan machine gun-like delivery that would have me in stitches. I never caught his name back then, and it wasn't until I saw him in a 007, Diamonds Are Forever, movie, as a Las Vegas character named Shady Tree, that I was able to track his real name down on Wikipedia. The reason I mention him now is that I received The Sting on DVD for my birthday, and as I was watching it, I saw Leonard again for a couple of seconds at the beginning of the movie. I went to youtube and grabbed a couple videos of him there, including one where he was on the Dean Martin Show (Barr was Martin's uncle and helped get Dean started in the movie business).

Leonard Barr Dance


Naturally, with youtube you can't just watch one. I had to check out the Jackie Vernon clip (loved Jackie when I was younger), as well as Frank Gorshin.

Jackie Vernon
(Can't embed video in blog)

Frank Gorshin


In the 70's, there was a short-lived comedy program called Kopycats, that I thought at the time was hilarious. I could only locate a 2 minute opening clip of one episode where Raymond Burr was the guest host. Still, it's good to see Frank Gorshin again.

Kopycats, 1972


No comments: