Thursday, September 3, 2015

Small Adventure 43

Tuesday night, I was tempted to jump on the street car and ride down to south Kagoshima after dinner. I wanted to visit the Book Off down there to see if they had any used copies of the Area 51 manga, and to check their used Nintendo DS game selection. At 9:30 PM, I decided to make a break for it and headed outside. I get up to Takamibaba street, which is the closest platform to me, and there are 8 office workers ahead of me waiting to go home. The car is fairly crowded, with no place to sit, so I just find a place to stand and listen to AC/DC on my mp3 player, while watching some of the OL's playing games on their smartphones for 30 minutes. I get to Book Off, and they don't have any volumes for Area 51. But, they do have a used copy of the Jump Superstars game for 500 yen, and Valkyrie Profile for 250 yen. I get those for my collection and return to the platform. Almost immediately, the street car shows up, and this time it's just me and one other passenger. It feels just like the Gegege Kitaro ghost train.

I sit down, plug Jump Superstars into my 3DS, and try to figure out the game play. The street car gets to Korimoto street, but instead of going straight like it always does, it turns left on Korimoto. This is ok by me because the tracks form a rectangle, with the corners at the main train station, Takamibaba, Korimoto, and one place on the main drag where the car turns right to go to the train station. This just means that I'm going to have to get off at the main train station, and walk an additional 3-4 blocks to get home. No big deal. Except...

Right after the train makes the right turn to change directions for the rectangle, it stops at the platform in front of McDonald's and the driver tells me that this is his last stop for the night and I have to get out. It's only 10:45 PM at this point, and I'd never imagined that the street car service would stop so early. I get out, and briefly consider going into McDonald's to get a shake or something for the walk, but there's a long line at the counter, one person working the register, and no one's moving. So I just keep going. Fortunately, I'm only a mile from the main train station, and I get home after 30 minutes. What's weird, though, is that there were 3 other street cars going the opposite direction towards south Kagoshima, and they were all filled with passengers. Maybe the driver just didn't like me...

No comments: