Friday, March 25, 2016

Noh Mask Cellphone Strap Series

Hmm. We rolled over 800,000 hits yesterday and I wasn't even prepared for it (wouldn't have mattered anyway, because I was outside working all day). I knew it was coming up, but I was thinking I wouldn't hit this milestone for a few more days. As I write this, we're at exactly 800,400 hits. If I can, I'd like to screen cap hitting 800,800... I've been averaging 250 hits a day lately, so maybe that will happen between Sunday and Monday.




I kind of made myself promise not to get any more capsule ball toys for a while, because there's just so many different series, and it's getting kind of expensive just buying the ones I have already (especially with the metal and wood puzzles). However, there are some new toys out at Amu Plaza that are kind of irresistible, and as long as I pace myself, I may be ok. One series that really caught my eye is the Noh-men, or Japanese Noh theater masks, as cell phone straps. There are 10 total designs, 5 painted wood style, and 5 with the same masks as netsuke (carved boxwood). 300 yen each.



This series has some of the best designs I've seen in a while, and very informative insert sheets.



Mine is Koomote, or "smiling woman." She's considered to have been the embodiment of the attractive woman of the Edo period (1600's to 1850's). About 1" tall.



The back side simulates the carving technique for this type of mask.
Noh theater (or, Nogaku) was developed in the 1300's, and comes from the word for "skill" or "talent". It generally consists of 5 plays, with comedic plays in between the main acts. From the wiki entry: "Noh is often based on tales from traditional literature with a supernatural being transformed into human form as a hero narrating a story. Noh integrates masks, costumes and various props in a dance-based performance, requiring highly trained actors and musicians. Emotions are primarily conveyed by stylized conventional gestures while the iconic masks represent the roles such as ghosts, women, children, and old people."

No comments: