Thursday, June 30, 2016

Paper Bird


This story kind of belongs in the Small Adventures category. I was walking along the main street on my way to Amu Plaza, when a girl and her mother went past me the other direction. As they approached me, there was this flicker of something, like paper falling onto the sidewalk. The girl didn't react like she'd dropped anything, and I figured I'd wait until I got to it before saying something, because maybe it was just trash that had nothing to do with them. When I reached it, I discovered that it was a small sheet of origami paper - blue on one side, white on the other. Nearby was a second sheet, but yellow and white. Knowing the Japanese, the fact the paper had landed on the ground meant that it would be more work than it was worth to claim it, if I mentioned it to the woman and her daughter. But now, I'm holding this sheet of origami paper, and it's up to me to decide whether to throw it back on the ground, or wad it up and toss it in the trash when I got to Amu Plaza.



Then I thought, well, it's folding paper, so I should fold it. The result was a small blue bird that I placed on a sign in front of a bar closer to the main post office. Let the people there decide if it's worth keeping or throwing away.

No comments: