Wednesday, September 14, 2016

Smirnoff Coffee




Ok, there I am in the Daiei department store, in the food section, looking at the import beers case, and I notice the cans of Smirnoff Coffee drink. 5% alcohol. I'm torn. The idea of coffee and vodka isn't that alien - it's just a variation on an Irish Coffee. But, this is Japan, and Japan has released a LOT of really BAD coffee drinks. On the other hand, it's only 147 yen ($1.50 USD) for a 12 oz. can, and I need material for the blog. So, I buy a can.



Think watered-down Kahlua, with almost no vodka flavor. At 5%, it's about as weak as a strong beer, but it's not carbonated as far as I could tell. The coffee has a burnt, semi-sickly sweet side to it, like an over-cooked pot of coffee, that isn't quite bitter yet. There was no aftertaste 5 minutes after finishing the can, but I was belching up stinky gas about 20 minutes later. As a gimmick or joke, this is fine once, but I can't imagine wanting to drink a second can for any reason.

No comments: