Thursday, December 8, 2016

Amu Plaza Christmas Market, Dec. 5th




I didn't have to work on Monday, so I took the opportunity to go up to Amu Plaza to check out the Christmas Market. Again, the MC had walked away from her table to advertise one of the food booths, and I grabbed the line up sheet to see what the music schedule was. None of the names looked interesting, but the next act was going to go on stage in a few minutes, and I hung around for it. Turns out it was one of the singers from the Songbirds of Gospel, with the Songbirds conductor on keyboards. The singer started out with a light jazz version of a Christmas song, and it was pretty clear that she didn't understand the English lyrics (she pronounced the words wrong). I left after a few minutes to go back home.



And, just to explain why I'm not taking more pictures of the Market live music than I am... Back at the beginning of November, when I had the kidney stone, I had an endoscopy that identified a polyp in my intestine. The doctor strongly urged me to have it removed as quickly as possible. So, I scheduled the surgery for last Tuesday. The operation went by quickly and uneventfully. But, I had to stay in the hospital overnight for observation. Because I wasn't going to be able to eat anything for 30+ hours, I had to be prepped with an IV needle. But, the nurse couldn't locate a vein in the back of my forearm and eventually chose to insert the needle in the vein in the back of my left hand. That made sleeping difficult, coupled with the fact that I was in a common room with 3 people that snored really badly - I got 3 hours of sleep, total. I was released from the hospital Wednesday morning, and spent the rest of the day napping. The downside of the operation is that I can't drink alcohol or do strenuous exercise for 1 week. On top of this, I have English lessons at the school at 3 PM, 6 and 7 PM several days in a row, and I really don't want to risk running up to Amu Plaza from the other side of downtown, just to get a few photos before returning to the school (not for the next week, anyway). I won't be able get to Amu Plaza and just relax until Sunday.

No comments: