Wednesday, March 20, 2019

Rip Out




There's this old building down in front of the streetcar platform for Minami Kagoshima (South Kagoshima) that used to have offices and apartments in it, and a Family Mart Konbini in the first floor. I'd go there for coffee in the morning on my way to a class in the area. One week, the konbini was gone, the sign in front missing and the shop interior completely cleaned out. I'd been there the week before, and the staff acted cheerful and chipper, no indications that the place was closing. 7 days later, empty. No one I talked to knew why. About one month later, the protective sheeting had gone up, and work had started on tearing the building down.



The city has spent a lot of money renovating the platform entrance and putting in a walkover with street elevator, so maybe the idea is to remove the corner of the block and widen the intersection for turning traffic.



Or maybe they're just going to replace the place with a mansion (upscale apartments), or leave it as a parking lot.



"My roof's got a hole in it and I might drown."

Not just pretty words.

No comments: