Sunday, August 11, 2019

Bon Odori Matsuri, 2019




It's Obon season again, when the ancestors come back from the dead to check up on how their descendants are doing. The main holiday/travel period is from Aug. 12 to 18. Honganji Temple had their Bon Odori (Obon dance) festival Thursday night from about 6 PM to 9 PM.



I had to work Thursday from 4 to 8 PM. Honganji is less than a 5 minute walk from the school, so I was able to swing by just before the dancing started.



Leading up to this, the schedule showed some PR stuff, and some school bands. The MCs spent a little time interviewing the musicians and singers.





Everyone else was just waiting for the music to start.



And then it started. The dance is primarily a slow circle around the tower, with a little hand waving.



I was going to get a glass of beer (400 yen), when one of the other revelers insisted on buying me a cup of shochu on the rocks (200 yen). That was nice of him. A little later, I had dinner waiting for me at home, so I left.



It was a nice night. Hot and humid, but at least the rain had stopped for the moment.

No comments: