Tuesday, November 20, 2018

Taiwan Travel Fair, Nov. 19




On Monday, I was sitting at the computer, listening to the radio, when the "personality" started talking to someone from the open area in front of Amu Plaza. They talked about a travel fair promoting trips to Taiwan, and how the ongoing event had some kind of a stage. I had a bit of free time, and I needed to go to the Aeon department store across the street anyway, so at 2 PM I headed out the door and up to Amu. In part, one of the reasons for going was that I have an English student from Taiwan, and I kind of expected that maybe she'd be hired as an interpreter between some of the advertisers and the Japanese visitors.



Mostly, the event just consisted of about 5 travel agencies, for tours to China, Taiwan, and South Korea, plus a booth for trying on Taiwanese costumes. It ran both Monday and Tuesday, but when I was up there it was pretty much deserted.



While they did have a stage, most of the scheduled events consisted of the emcee going around the booths and interviewing the workers. There was one performance by a bunch of young kids from one of the dance schools, but that was fairly chaotic, as should be expected. Otherwise, there wasn't much that I had any interest in, and I didn't see my student there anywhere (that was a long-shot, anyway).



The most popular attraction for the housewives there were the two clowns making balloon animals for their children. After I did my shopping at Aeon, I went into Amu to sit at Seattle's Best Coffee and finish reading Ajin #13. After that, I had a few classes to teach at night, and some online work to do. I picked up another online contract with a short deadline on Tuesday, and that kept me holed up in front of the computer for the full day. The Taiwan travel fest wasn't a complete bust, at least it gave me something to do for a while.

No comments: