Friday, December 25, 2020

Fireworks, Dec. 22




Tuesday night, I was just preparing to go outside at 6:30 PM for a 7 PM lesson when I heard a lot of bangs outside. When I got out the door, I could see the fireworks going off up at the parking lot of the Shiroyama Hotel at the top of Shiroyama hill.



I'd gotten out a little late, and just had time to take a few photos as I was waiting for the elevator. At street level, my line of sight was blocked by apartment and office buildings, but I could hear all the booms speeding up. About 20-30 other people came out and gathered in the streets to watch the display. I was hoping that it would last another 10 minutes, when I'd get to Central Park and have a clearer view during my walk, but they did the last burst of everything and it was all over in maybe no more than 15 minutes total.



No idea what it was for, and no one else I talked to at the school mentioned it. Could have been for the start of the Japanese holidays period, or another tribute to hospital workers dealing with Covid. Either way, I just wish I could have watched a little more of it.

No comments: