Thursday, October 3, 2019

Kagoshima Maiko, Oct. 2, 2019




I was walking through Tenmonkan on Tuesday to meet someone, and when I got close to Lotteria I discovered that some group was hosting a "Meet the Maiko-san from Kagoshima" event. Maiko are the women in training to become Geisha, and there are at least 2 Maiko that live in Kagoshima.



There were maybe 50 people in the audience. I arrived at 2:30 or so, just as one of the main performances had ended, and the two women were paraded out to go through the different parts of their costumes for the audience.





The person I was meeting wanted to grab lunch in the restaurant on the top floor of Yamakataya, so I wasn't able to stick around to get more photos. After we finished lunch, we went out to the elevator to return to the ground floor, and right next to the elevator were the two Maiko, posing for photos with anyone who wanted one. Unfortunately, I wasn't given the time to get my picture taken with them, so I lost that opportunity. They were scheduled for performances on Wednesday, too, but I had conflicting classes at those time and wasn't able to get to Tenmonkan for that. Maybe next year.

Lotteria Placemat


Funny enough, the nearby Lotteria has a new line of placemats that look like they're tied-in to the Maiko event. Actually, this is a portrayal of a really old clothing style, and the idea is to teach children the importance of oral hygiene.

No comments: