Friday, March 27, 2020

Honeymoon Walk?


I'd written close to one month ago that with all of the early panic over Covid-19, I didn't know how this would affect the Ryouma Honeymoon Walk. Ryouma Sakamoto was one of the early conspirators working with Saigo Takamori to overthrow the Shogunate in the 1860's, to restore the Emperor to power over Japan. While I can't find specific information on this event in the wiki articles on either man, what I do remember (which could be mistaken) was that Ryouma and his wife had worked their way down from northern Kyushu to what is now Kagoshima (at the time, known as Satsuma) while being pursued by the Shogunate's forces. After meeting Saigo, Takamori suggested that Ryouma return home via a roundabout route, using the honeymoon following his recent marriage as a pretext. Part of this route in Kirishima (at the north end of Kinko Bay) is now used for the Ryouma Honeymoon Walk event (originally held in the late Fall, moved to March because people complained about the weather being too cold for it). The event is spread over two days, and can have up to 5 routes, from 10 km to 20 km, running through flower fields, or up into the mountains.

I've been trying to do the mountain route for the last few years, but that has either conflicted with my work schedule on Saturdays, or the weather had been bad. Since it costs about $20 round trip to take the train to Kirishima, and there's something like a $10 in advance entry fee, I've only wanted to go when the skies are clear. Several weeks ago, the event website stated that the walk was still a "go", but the staff were going to be using masks and hand sanitizer for safety measures. After that, I got preoccupied, and it was only last night that I decided to look at my photo of the ad poster to double-check the dates. Turned out that it was supposed to have happened on the 21st and 22nd. Well, that was in the middle of the extended panic, so I'm assuming that it did get canceled. Sigh.

Last year, I said "Well, there's always next year." I was wrong.

No comments: