Tuesday, April 27, 2021

Small Adventure 77

Ok, I had to work at the English school yesterday. One lesson ended at 5 PM, and the next started at 7 PM, so I had 2 hours to kill outside, which I spent reading manga (Dragon House-Hunting) at McDonald's. As I was returning to the school, I noticed a parade of about 100 old people all heading to the streetcar street that runs in front of City Hall. Additionally, there were patrol guards all over the place, and barriers preventing cars from turning onto the street.

I hadn't heard of any big events taking place this week, and I didn't have time to ask anyone what was going on. My lesson started on time, and about 10 minutes later, we heard speakers blaring outside, with announcements and music, which interfered with the lesson. I asked the student if she knew what was happening, and she said that the Olympic torch relay was running through Kagoshima that evening. I then asked if she wanted to continue the lesson outside so we could watch the torch go by, and she said "no." 15 minutes later, the noise ended, soon followed by the sounds of regular car and streetcar traffic again. When I got out of the school at 7:50 PM, everything was completely back to normal, as if nothing special had ever happened. I'm not even sure which direction the torch went, if it was down south towards Ibuski, up north to Kirishima, or northwest to Kumamoto.

Sigh.
I never get to see rocket launches from Tanegashima, either.

No comments: